As many of you already know the flu is spreading in Bedford County. The CDC has some basic recommendations that help prevent the spread of the flu:
1. Avoid close contact with sick people.
2. If you are sick with flu symptoms stay away from others.
3. If you are sick with flu symptoms stay home for at least 24 hours after the fever is gone. (Without the help of fever reducers)
4. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If a tissue is not available cough into your upper sleeve. Do not cough or sneeze into your hands. Immediately wash your hands afterward.
5. Wash your hands often with soap and water. You may use sanitizer if it is alcohol based. Sanitizer is not meant to completely replace hand washing.
6. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
7. Clean surfaces that could have been contaminated with germs.
These are very basic recommendations. It helps to remind the students of these preventative actions. Flu germs are typically very fragile and following these basic steps can greatly reduce the spread of the virus.
The typical flu symptoms include body aches, headache, cough, sore throat, fever, fatigue, congestion, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea in small children.